Fact or Fiction
Let me just start off by saying that the media has become the ultimate source of false information. Unfortunately, all of us are bombarded each and everyday with so many diet and weight loss ads that it’s easy to become confused with what works and what doesn’t. With every flip of the channel there are ads for hydroxycut, Alli, Green Tea diet pills, detox programs, Special K diet, Jenny Craig, and the newest T.V spectacle, Sensa. For some of us we become enticed by the commercials showing before and after pictures that resemble this:
Ok here is where we start getting real. Weight loss is simple (unless there are other underlying problems). Our body can handle a specific caloric intake that allows us to maintain our weight. Once we know how many calories we can consume at maintenance we drop 500 calories from that total, thereby aiming to lose 1 lb per week. Pretty simple huh? It is 😉
How do we calculate our caloric intake? Easy! Click here
Remember there is no exact number, but one always has a rough estimate so just play with the numbers until you see change on the scale.
Disclaimer: Do not expect to lose 1 lb a day or more than 2 lbs a week. It is incredibly dangerous and most always guarantees that it’s water weight along with the loss of muscle. Fat reduction takes time so be patient. If your weight does not decrease after 2 weeks then adjust calories and remove about 200 more. Patience is key. Remember weight loss isn’t about reaching a goal, it’s about leading a healthy lifestyle.
- If most diet programs don’t work how do people loss weight?
Easy, just eat less than your daily caloric expenditure. It’s like we discussed, weight loss is all about calories in. The Twinkie diet, Yoplait diet, Cookie diet, yes they work because you are in essence eating less than your maintenance. Is it healthy? No of course not. You are depriving your body of vital nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that we need to function. Appetite suppressants do just as their name suggests, reduces appetite so therefore you eat less. Do you really need to pay for a drug so that you feel less hungry? Mind over matter!!!
Weight loss is all about changing our mental state. Our body is trained to adapt to anything. Who says you don’t like fruits or veggies? Eat them all the time and soon you’ll love it. I was a girl who never touched a vegetable all throughout my childhood and now it’s a basic staple in my diet. Anyone can lose weight, you just REALLY have to want it. I’m not saying it’s a walk in the park but once you get the hang of it your body will thank you for it.
Most diet books and other programs treat people like a one size fits all. Not the way our body works. Of course everyone loses weight eating 1000 calories a day because it’s completely insane!!! An average woman can lose weight eating 1500 calories and for those who are heavier and taller can easily eat 2000 calories and lose weight. Why starve your body and be miserable?! My way of eating is not dieting. Yuck I hate that word. Sounds like I’m eating lettuce all day. I have just chosen to rewire my way of thinking into foods that I love and eating a sensible portion.
You CAN eat ice cream and lose weight. You CAN eat a brownie and lose weight. Gasp!!! Did I really just say that?! I did 🙂 Well what about pizza, a hamburger, fries…?!! YES you can and no not the nutrisystem ones 😉
Hmm… Well are those saved for a cheat day? No these are foods that can be eaten everyday. What’s the secret?
There is none! It’s simple, say you eat a cookie that is 200 calories. Ok well now you have to rearrange the rest of your day and eat less of whatever else you had planned. 400 calories of ice cream? Cut calories from another meal. Now I don’t do this everyday because 400 calories of nutritious food can fill me up for awhile whereas ice cream is just one of those foods that never seems to fills my tummy.
Oh boy these are some good ones. Sad part is most people swear by them 😦
- Eat 6 small meals a day to speed up metabolism and control hunger
- Don’t eat carbs after 6pm or they will be stored as fat
- Exercise 7 days a week
- Reduce calories to 1200 for rapid effective weight loss
- Detox is the best way to cleanse the body and lose weight
- Girls should not lift weights because it makes them bulky
- Eat only clean foods
- The body can only consume 30 grams of protein at one time
- Eating every 2 to 3 hours is essential
- Brown rice is better than white
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day
OMG the list goes on and on…
To learn the truth, you might wanna read up on some articles by 2 of my favorite fitness/nutrition gurus:
To keep matters simple:
- Yes you can eat carbs, even after 10pm
- You don’t need to exercise everyday, muscles need time to rest and recover especially from weight training
- 1200 is completely unnecessary unless you are a very small petite woman
- Detox programs are complete nonsense. Don’t waste your time and $$. You can feel the same health benefits by eating wholesome foods
- Weights do not make girls bulky!! I bench press, deadlift, etc… and I am not bulky. It takes other sources
steroidsto get to that level
- Never use the word clean food. We all have our own definition of what is clean. For vegetarians meat is unclean. To the Jewish community if it’s not Kosher it’s not clean. Get it? Dirty refers to food that fell on the floor.
- The body most definitely does not only retain 30 grams of protein in one sitting. Don’t believe me? Click here
- No one needs to keep a lunchbox with them to eat every 3 hours. Some people eat 6 times a day, others eat 3, some eat 1 large meal a day. Whatever is most convenient for you.
- If you wanna know more about brown rice versus white we have rice wars!
- Remember if you don’t like breakfast or aren’t hungry in the morning, you don’t have to eat. Skipping breakfast will not make you fatter. Now skipping breakfast and overeating for the day will.
Take home message
I hope you guys learned something and aren’t afraid of the road ahead. It’s not painful I promise. One thing that I cannot stress enough is knowing how much you are eating. Some people are good with eyeballing portions. I for one am not, which is why I use a food scale.
It might be a bit overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of counting calories there is no going back. IMO it’s the most accurate way of knowing exactly how many calories I am consuming.
I believe that success lies within us all. Don’t fall for the gizmos and gadgets that promise weight loss. You have control to turn it around. No matter how much weight you need to lose it is possibly to melt the fat and keep it off. I’ve seen it happen with my own eyes and I’m grateful for being a part of my boyfriends tremendous transformation.
Complete body transformation down from 320 lbs to 188 in 2 years. Anyone can do it, just have faith and fuel the fire of desire.